• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

flax protein quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

a thing

Greenlighter
I have heard that the protein in flax is of good quality (contains many essential amino acids)? But how good exactly is it? What essential amino acids does it have and have not?

Flax seed has omega-3 fatty acids and insoluble and soluble fiber, I don't know what amino acids it has, though.

I've never tried it but I've heard it's good sprinkles in oatmeal/cereal, and you can use it in baked goods (cookies and whatnot). I take it as a supplement, is good for vegetarian/vegans.

flax is an incomplete protein and should not be your only source of protein in your daily diet.

as far as which aminos it contains, use google, friend. Why ask another person to google your shit for you?

The whole "incomplete proteins" thing is vastly overstated. You needn't do wonky combinations of food at one meal to compensate for not eating meat, if you eat enough protein overall it's a safe bet that you're getting all the different kinds of amino acids that you need.

As for flax, I'd never heard of it being used as a protein source, only as a supplement or a minimal ingredient to add earthiness or whatnot to foods.

mmmmm.....Flaxjacks:) I like to include it in breadcrumbs when cooking- it can be used as a thickener-on salads-in breads,cookies,muffins and really just about anything. It is super good for you-and its tasty!
here are a few things i found-

"The amino acids found in Flax Seed are Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, and Lysine. Each one of these amino acids offers different benefits."

You can read about each of them here-
flax seeds

"Flax seed is one of the very most nutritious foods. It is 22% protein of very high-quality, with all 9 essential amino acids. "

found here- flax food

I do eat other sources of protein; I am just wondering if it could be possible to be well with flax as an only protein source.

mmm...apple slices dipped in ground flaxseed

O.O I need to try this.

"The amino acids found in Flax Seed are Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, and Lysine. Each one of these amino acids offers different benefits."

You can read about each of them here-
flax seeds

"Flax seed is one of the very most nutritious foods. It is 22% protein of very high-quality, with all 9 essential amino acids. "

found here- flax food

Why do those disagree? This is what I mean by sketchy sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.